By: Noa Brown
Correspondent

With the Tamiya brand, one can always expect a solid, cleanly molded model kit that fits together almost perfectly. Tamiya’s 1/35 scale Sturmgeschütz (Stug) III maintains that reputation. The Stug III started out as a self-propelled gun based on the German army’s Panzer III chassis meant to fight infantry and armored fortifications early in World War II. Later in the war the Stug III was fitted with an anti-tank gun to fill the role of a tank destroyer.

Out of the box, the model came with crisp edges and fine surface details. Flash or excess plastic was nearly non-existent on all of the parts requiring little to no work sanding or trimming the parts. The tank destroyer featured a posable cannon, optional position hatches with figurines resembling the commander and the loader. The tracks were made from a soft and flexible plastic.

For my model, I chose the hatches open with the both crewmembers present. The assembled unpainted model can be seen in Figure 1.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Following assembly, I coated the tank destroyer with Tamiya’s grey primer and pre-shaded the model with Tamiya’s flat black acrylic paint with a dual action airbrush. The pre-shaded model can be seen in Figure 2.

 

 

 

 

 

For the base coat, I airbrushed Tamiya Dark Yellow on the model. I used thin layers of paint to allow the pre-shading to show through. To further enhance the details and lines on the models, I mixed black oil paint with turpentine to create a pin wash for the cracks and crevasses. I used turpentine for its unique ability to evenly spread throughout a crack without spilling over.

When it came to the tank tracks, I painted them with Tamiya Metallic Grey. Despite the paint, they were easy to wrap around the wheels of the model. To make the tracks more realistic, I glued the tracks to the wheels and wedged pencils between the tracks and the track covers on the tank destroyer. When the glue dried and the pencils were removed the tracks looked weighted down. The model at this point is shown in Figure 3.

 

 

 

 

 

To weather the model down, I used Tamiya mud weathering pigments to dust the hull section of the model. To represent soot on the gun barrel and exhaust pipes I used a grounded black pastel chalk and brushed it over the surface. The effect of mud caking over the suspension was achieved by mixing Tamiya Red Brown with baking soda which mimicked the chunky texture of mud. The completed model can be seen in Figure 4.

Overall, the model kit was a very enjoyable build. Combining great detail with high mold quality, this kit is an excellent choice both for the experienced and beginning builder.

Leave a Reply