· 1 cup of all purpose flour
· 1 cup of granulated sugar
· 1 tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ cup of unsalted butter
· ½ cup of Guiness Stout
· ½ unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1 egg
· 1/3 cup of sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the Guiness and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Let cool slightly for a few minutes.
4. While the chocolate/butter/beer cools, using an electric mixer on low, beat the eggs and sour cream into the flour mixture. Pour in the chocolate and continue mixing until combined, about 1½- 2 minutes.
5. Distribute the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
7. Frost with cream cheese frosting and garnish with chocolate chips. Makes 12 cupcakes.
These cupcakes are a definite crowd pleaser. The Guiness flavor isn’t overpowering, but it’s noticeable and gives the cupcakes a rich, moist flavor. They are a little sweet and rich though, the first one is delicious but too many more after that would be a little much. All in all, an tasty, decadent dessert.